Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | About


Beacon is a small town within the Shire of Mount Marshall located on the periphery of the agricultural area some 40 kms directly north of Bencubbin. From 1929 the town was known locally as Beacon Rock although this name was not official. The word Rock was soon dropped. The town was gazetted in 1931. This district was first surveyed by Septimus Roe in 1836. Sandalwood is grown in the area as is wheat. The first train arrived in town on May 4th 1931


Beacon - Welcome Sign

This bold sign announces the township of Beacon. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN001


Beacon - Primary School

A wing of the Beacon Primary School. This side faces the road. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN002


Beacon - Primary School

The verandah over the class room doors, next to the activity area in the primary school. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN003


Beacon - Youth Hangout

This former house or shop is now the Beacon Youth Hangout Centre. It's in the middle of town. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN004


Beacon General Store

The new General Store and Post Office. A building of substance. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN005


Beacon - Closed Store

Towards the north side of town is the former General Store. Closed now as they have moved to the new premises. On the far wall you can still make out the "Four Square" sign which would go back to around when the building was built in 1964. This is on Lindsay Street. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN006


Beacon - Corner Shop

These buildings curve around a corner opposite the rail yards. The sign on the right of the building says "Old Beacon Bakehouse Cafe". Indeed the brick portions were built in the 1930's as a bakery and residence with the fibro portions being added decades later. In the 1950's this was the school teacher's house. On in time it became a hardware store and by 2002 the cafe opened. It is all closed now. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN007


Beacon - Corner Shop

A closer view of the Old Beacon Bakehouse Cafe. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN008


Beacon - Corner Shop

This is mostly the brick section of the Old Beacon Bakehouse Cafe building running down Lindsay Street. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN009


Beacon - Federation Park

In the centre of town is Beacon Community Federation Park. In the distance, to the right, the General Store and Post Office can be glimpsed. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN010


Beacon - CWA

The C.W.A. building with traditional splashes of blue. This transportable was established as their home in the 1970's. The history of the local C.W.A. goes right back to 1933. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN011


Beacon - Beacon Central

Beacon Central serves as a community centre and information post. This was built in 2003. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN012


Beacon - Town Hall

The sturdy Town Hall. The hall was erected in 1951. It was extended and re-modelled in 1995. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN013


Beacon - Garage

Business premises with a disused petrol pump. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN014


Beacon - Houses

A view along on of the streets. Left in picture is the C.W.A. house. The soil all around this district is quite red. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN015


Beacon - Street

A street scene. Note the very wide roads. Beacon is pleasantly laid out, it is aesthetically quite agreeable, and very tidy. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN016


Beacon - Houses

Beacon houses. The town seems quite alive compared with many smallish places I've recently visited. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN017


Beacon - Anglican Church

St Augustine's Anglican Church. The Foundation Stone was laid by Revd R. E. Freeth, Bishop Assistant, Perth, on September 4th, 1957. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN018


Beacon - Catholic Church

St Michael's Catholic Church. The church was blessed and opened by Right Rev. Lord Abbot Dom Gregory Gomez, on October 15th, 1961. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN019


Beacon - Land For Sale

A large block of land for sale in the centre of town. This gives some idea of the price of local real estate. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN020


Beacon - Railway Barracks

Adjacent to the rail yard is the former railways barracks building. This is where rail crews stayed overnight after completing a trip to Beacon. The barracks were built in 1930. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN021


Beacon - Rail Yard

The rail yard complete with the station sign. This is looking west. From here the line runs over to Mollerin and then on to Burakin. To the east it extends to and terminates at Bonnie Rock. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN022


Beacon - Rail Yard

The rail yard looking east. This line goes on to Bonnie Rock. You can see the loading ramp on the loop line. The building off to the right is the barracks. March 2015. Photos Ref: BECN023

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission