Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | About


The town of Merredin is located on the Great Eastern Highway between the towns of Kellerberrin and Southern Cross. It is about 260 kms east of Perth. The town is a major commercial hub for surrounding towns and farming properties. Merredin was gazetted as a town in 1907. The locality earlier had other spelling variations being Merriden and Merreden. Construction of the Southern Cross railway in 1895 resulted in the town being centred around the station


Merredin - District Hall

Merredin District Hall on Mitchell Street. This is the former Town Hall. The front brick section was opened in May 1925. On the building's left, a Foundation Stone was laid by W. C. Woolcar on November 15th, 1924. On the right of the building a Foundation Stone was unveiled by Brigadier General A. Bessell-Brown on April 25th, 1928. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR001


Merredin - Courthouse

The Merredin Courthouse on Mitchell Street next door to the police station. The courthouse was built in 1934. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR002


Merredin - Corner Building

This building is on the north-east corner of Mitchell and Bates Streets. This appears to be the former National Bank and quarters, built in 1930. It has also been known as Middleton's Building. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR003


Merredin - Palace Restaurant

On another corner of Mitchell and Bates Streets is the Palace Chinese Restaurant. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR004


Merredin - Hendy Cowan Office

On Bates Street is the Merredin Bed and Breakfast - Maison d'Avril. This is the former office of Hendy Cowan, a long time local Member and W.A. Parliamentarian. It was built in 1930 as a bank. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR005


Merredin - Bates Street Apartments

The fine looking Bates Street Apartments, short term stay. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR006


Merredin - Agricultural Hall

This old building is unmarked however it is believed to be the former Agricultural hall built in 1928. At some stage this was known as the Exhibition Hall. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR007


Merredin - Cummins Theatre

The Cummins Theatre established in 1928 on Bates Street. This was first built in Coolgardie in 1897. It was dismantled, shipped to Merredin and then reassembled. When in Coolgardie, it was known as the Tivoli Theatre. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR008


Merredin - Tivoli

Next door to the Cummins Theatre is the Tivoli Room. It is part of the Cummins Theatre. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR009


Merredin - Barrack Street

Merredin's main street. This is Barrack Street looking south. You can see Lister House and beyond that is the Commercial Hotel. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR010


Merredin - Lister House

Lister House on Barrack Street. That is the tall building on the left. The ground floor is premises to Sleep Revolution. It was built in 1923 and has variously been known as Atkinson's Haberdashery and the Air Observers Post. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR011


Merredin - Commercial Hotel

The Commercial Hotel lines a part of Barrack Street. This building was erected in 1912. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR012


Merredin - Commercial Hotel

This is a view along the front side of the Commercial Hotel facing Barrack Street. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR013


Merredin - Post Office

Post Office Merredin. This building opened on May 26th, 1913. It was originally red brick, and it still is underneath the rendering and paint. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR014


Merredin - College

At the front of the Merredin College are these tall cylinders sporting works of art inspired by local history and culture. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR015


Merredin - College

The front aspect of the Merredin College. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR016


Merredin - School

Here is the road face of the Merredin primary school. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR017


Merredin - School

The rear of the primary school wing. It doesn't particularly look if it is in use anymore as it appears to be fairly run down. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR018


Merredin - Fire Station

The fire station on Mitchell Street. This seems to be still functioning. It was built in 1935. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR019


Merredin - Railway Station

Down at in the rail area. This is the operational Merredin railway station, a stopping point for the Prospector and terminus for the Avon Link. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR020


Merredin - Railway Station

The impressive old signal box elevated to give a good view of the rail yards for the controllers who worked in there. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR021


Merredin - Railway Station

Here is a view of the former station buildings and signal box. These buildings are now part of a museum. They were built progressively between 1905 and 1923. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR022


Merredin - Water Tower

Atop the water tower the water tank is still advertising Kalgoorlie Bitter. Water in the tank was used for replenishing steam locomotives. It has stood here since 1893. Kalgoorlie Bitter was made by Kalgoorlie Brewing & Ice Co. This was take over by the Swan Brewery in 1945. When Bond Corp bought the Swan Brewery in 1981 they closed the Kalgoorlie Brewing Co within one year. Bad news for all those who faithfully worked at Kalgoorlie Brewing. Bad news also for those who enjoyed the drop. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR023


Merredin - Rail Yard

Looking west down the rail yard. To the right is the alighting/boarding area. Technically a platform but it is not raised. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR024


Merredin - Pumping Station

On the western outskirts of town is the former number 4 pumping station of the goldfields water scheme. This was commissioned circa 1902. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR025


Merredin - Pumping Station

Here is the newer, functioning, water pumping station. March 2015. Photos Ref: MERR026

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission